Retaining walls are an important, widespread type of the engineering structures in transport construction. They are widely used in construction to prevent the sideslopes of roads from collapsing, as the anti-landslide and rockfall protection structures at the approaches to the tunnel portals, and to protect roadways against erosion.
At present, one of the major issues associated with the construction of retaining walls in transport construction is the necessity to ensure reduction of the material and labor costs, to improve the bearing capacity and reliability of the structures at the stages of their construction and operation. In this regard, use of welded pipe sheet piles in the design of retaining walls which Trest Zapsibgidrostroy has put into practice of transport construction ensures creation and rapid development of the transport infrastructure of a number of regions in the RF, and increase of efficiency of the passenger and freight transport.
The main advantages of the Trest Zapsibgidrostroy technology of construction of retaining walls with use of steel pipe sheet piles as the main load-bearing member:
- reduction by half or even more of the construction time in comparison with the conventional methods of construction of the reinforced concrete retaining walls due to a high erection rate of retaining walls (10-15 running meters per shift);
- use of the advanced methods of sheet pile driving (hydraulic hammers, resonance-free vibrators, drilling) allowing you to conduct work around the clock, under the cramped conditions of urban development;
- the technology and organization of construction works ensure work conduct with a partially stopped traffic
- high load-bearing characteristics of steel pipe sheet piles allowing construction of retaining walls without anchors, with the height up to 12 m, which in its turn, reduces the built-up area and the transfers of communications and structures
- possibility to choose the finishing materials for retaining walls on the basis of economic feasibility: use of protective coatings for steelwork, use of light polymer materials and granite for cladding etc..
- the construction cost reduction up to 30% compared to the conventional projects using reinforced concrete
Welded pipe sheet piles as a constructive element of retaining walls were used in a number of the facilities built by the Trest in different regions of the RF. They are: "The transport junctions at the intersection of Chekhov and Gagarin Streets in Khanty-Mansiysk", "Construction of the overpass to the cargo berth of the Novokuibyshevsk Refinery", "Construction of the eastern bypass road in the city of Khanty-Mansiysk," and others.